Regardless of where you are planning to travel for your vacation, it is imperative that your car be in good working order. Nothing will put a bigger kink in your vacation plans than having car trouble, especially if your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere. You should follow these steps prior to any long road trip to make sure that your car is in excellent condition for such a trip.
You should schedule an appointment with your mechanic at least a couple of weeks prior to the road trip to do a thorough inspection. Bring a checklist with you, so you remember to ask the mechanic to review all of the items on your list.
1. Check all fluids.
2. Check all hoses and belts.
3. Inspect for any leaks.
4. Examine the condition of the exhaust system.
5. Replace the spark-plug wires if they have not been replaced for two or more years.
6. Inspect all tires, including the spare, to make sure that they are all in good condition. Make sure that all tires are at the correct tire pressure, and add air if necessary.
7. Carry out a four-wheel brake check (if it has been longer than six months since the last four-wheel brake check).
8. Flush out the cooling system (If not previously done in the last year).
9. Pressure-check the cooling system to examine for any leaks.
10. Check the output of the alternator to ensure that the charging system is performing correctly.
11. Load-test the battery to check its ability to hold a charge.
That is the complete list of items that need to be checked prior to heading out on your long road trip with your family. It may seem a little lengthy, but it is so much wiser to spend the time and money having everything checked before there is a problem; it can save on costly repairs and waiting on parts. This way, all you will have to worry about during your vacation is just having a great time.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5362986